Taekwondo Black Stripe - 1st kup
Go back to ITF Taekwondo grading
As part of the ITF Taekwondo Red Belt - 2nd kup grading syllabus, you will be exepect to know the following criteria.
*Please note the criteria below assumes you are currently at this belt level progressing for the next belt.*
The ITF Taekwondo Red Belt Signifies danger, cautioning the student to exercise control, whilst warning the opponent to stay away.
You may be questioned on the following information:
The Black Stripe Belt Signifies maturity and proficiency in TaekwonDo. Also indicating the wearer's imperviousness to darkness and fear.
Parts of the body
Side Instep - Yop Baldung
Bending Ready Stance B - Guburyo Sogi B
Twin Upward Palm Block - Sang Ollyo Sonbadak Makgi
Side x Kifehand Checking Block - Yop Kyocha Sonkal Momchau Makgi
Back Piercing Kick - Dwitcha Jirugi
Twisting Kicl - Bituro Chagi
Flying Side Kick - Twimyo Yop Chagi
Front Knife Hand Strike - Ap Sonkal Taerigi
Front Reverse Knifehand Strike - Ap Sonkal Dung Taerigi
One Step Sparring - Ilbo Matsoki (Using 3 step attacks, with any blocking and counter attack. Also doing self defence one step, with middle punch attack)
Free Sparring - Jao Matsoki
Two on one free sparring
You will required to perform Choong Moo, this is the last pattern needed to obtain the black belt.
Choong-Moo was the name given to the great admiral Yi Sun Sin of the Yi dynasty. He was reputed to have invented the first armoured battleship (Kobukson) which was the precursor of the present day submarine, in 1592 A.D. The reason why this pattern ends in a left hand attack is to symbolise his regrettable death having no chance to show his unrestrained potentiality checked by the forced reservation of his loyalty to the king.
Other essential requirements of the red stripe syllabus / grading
Various Combinations within Line Work
1 Step Sparring
2 Step Sparring
3 Step Sparring
Learn the answers to the following questions:
1. How many moves in Choong-Moo?
2. Meaning of Choong-Moo?
3. What is the purpose of the 360 jump spin in Choong-Moo?
4. What is the Korean for front reverse knifehand strike?
5. What is the Korean for twisting kick?
6. What is the Korean for X-knifehand checking block and explain its use?
7. What is the Korean for twin upward palm block?
8. Which 3 patterns have release moves. Demo & explain the difference between them?
9. Describe the difference between closed ready stance A,B & C ?
10. What is the Korean for Walking stance and explain it fully?
11. Name 10 different blocks. Both in Korean & English ?
12. Name 9 different kicks. Both in Korean & English ?
13. Name 9 different stances. Both in Korean & English ?
14. Name 10 different hand parts. Both in Korean & English ?
15. Name 6 different foot parts. Both in Korean & English ?
16. Name 6 different hand attacks from pattern Choong-Moo. Both in Korean & English ?
17. Name the 4 parts of your forearm. Both in English and Korean ?
18. What does Black signify. Then, what is meant by impervious to darkness & fear ?
19. What is the difference between ITF & WTF Tkd ?
20. What is the difference between a martial artist & a sports person ?
21. How have you supported your club and organisation ?
22. Why do you want to be a Blackbelt ?
23. What’s your philosophy on Tkd ?
24. Why do we do free sparring and 2 on 1 sparring ?
25. Explain the Korean Flag ?
26. Name each pattern you know & how many moves in each 1 ?
27. What does any colour upto black signify ?
28. What is the meaning of any pattern upto Choong-Moo ?
29. Who’s your greatest inspiration in Tkd?
30. What is Tkd?
31. Why did you start Tkd?
32. What is your greatest moment in Tkd?
33. If you had to pick a 6 th tenet of Tkd what would it be and why?
34. What are the important dates of Tkd and why?
35. What is the difference between a strike and a thrust?
36. Name 3 fingertip thrusts in Korean & English and describe their use.
If you match the criteria above to a sufficient standard within a Taekwondo grading, congratulations on progression to black belt from black stripe.